The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is currently hiring a Recruitment Specialist, a full-time position located in our Washington, DC office.
Nature of Position:
As directed by the Director of Human Resources, the Recruitment Specialist is responsible for implementing the Association’s day-to-day recruitment efforts by working closely with the HR team and hiring managers throughout the recruitment lifecycle, providing exceptional service to an Association of approximately 150 employees, spanning two office locations.
In support of AASHTO’s core value of diversity, equity and inclusion, the Recruitment Specialist is responsible for utilizing a DEI lens when performing all job responsibilities listed below. The Recruitment Specialist is also responsible for observing all state and federal compliance requirements.
The Recruitment Specialist is responsible for the organization’s active postings for all Association-wide open positions, working with the hiring managers and candidates through the various stages of recruitment, from position posting through employee onboarding; and communicating with them throughout, ensuring all recruitment steps are completed successfully in preparation for offer development.
Specifically, the Recruitment Specialist:
- Maintains relationships with local universities, associations and other recruitment partners with which AASHTO regularly markets our positions to maximize job posting exposure and fully utilize the power of these networks, attending in-person and virtual job fairs as needed.
- Drafts a comprehensive list of posting locations for all positions, which includes both standard posting locations, and any that may be unique for the particular position (with feedback from the hiring managers).
- Converts position descriptions to job advertisements.
- Develops a LinkedIn post for each job vacancy so that the hiring managers, AASHTO’s Communications team, HR team and other employees who desire to can have language for sharing positions on their personal LinkedIn pages.
- Drafts a recruitment timeline for each active position based on the goal hire date, and carefully manages the recruitment process with this timeline in mind; only adjusting the timeline if absolutely necessary, and communicating with hiring managers accordingly.
- Performs an initial review of applicants to narrow down the number of resumes to only those that are truly relevant for the applicable position. As necessary, sources candidates and conducts a proactive search of qualified candidates via LinkedIn and related partners.
- Works closely with the Human Resource Generalist and hiring managers to draft and support the interview question development process.
- Schedules all interviews, working closely with both hiring managers and candidates; and conducts all initial phone interviews with candidates.
- Ensures that the necessary application materials are distributed to candidates, shared with the hiring managers as appropriate, and recorded and filed properly for applicant tracking purposes.
- Conducts reference and background checks as needed.
- Informs candidates that are not ultimately selected.
- Regularly tracks and maintains recruitment metrics, such as time to fill vacant positions.
Following the hiring of a new employee, the Recruitment Specialist works with the HR team to ensure that all necessary HR preparations and communications are completed. Specifically, they are responsible for working with hiring managers to schedule meetings and trainings that should occur within the new employee’s first two weeks for their successful onboarding; and for ensuring the overall successful completion of the hiring manager’s onboarding checklist.
The Recruitment Specialist acts as a representative of AASHTO’s HR team, with the goal of providing the highest quality of HR support to the Association. With this in mind, the Recruitment Specialist may be called upon as needed to support a variety of different initiatives in support of this goal, not all of which can be anticipated or planned for.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of four years’ experience in an HR supporting role, with at least two of those years in a recruitment specific role. A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or a closely related field, is required for the position, though a similar level of experience may substitute for education.
The candidate must have impeccable attention to detail and critical thinking skills, exceptional judgment and the ability to take responsibility for projects of a sensitive and confidential nature. They must have strong oral and written communication skills. The ability to handle a number of active recruitments simultaneously, and the ability to efficiently utilize applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams and other routine applications are essential to this position. The incumbent must possess the ability to work quickly, independently, and accurately. Experience utilizing an HRIS is desired.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 4th 2023.
Who We Are:
AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing transportation departments in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. We represent all transportation modes including: air, highways, public transportation, active transportation, rail, and water. Our goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system that is safe and efficient for every individual. We strive to educate the public and key decision makers about the critical role that transportation plays in securing a good quality of life and sound economy for our nation.
The culture displayed at AASHTO is one of inclusiveness. AASHTO fosters a supportive working environment for staff and focuses on both the professional and personal successes of employees. Additionally, employees benefit from a collective workplace that genuinely cares about them and what they do.
Perks and Benefits:
This positions would primarily report out of our Washington, DC office located in Metro Center. AASHTO offers employees hybrid work flexibilities and this role may be approved to work remotely up to 2-3 days per week.
Additionally, as a full-time employee, you are eligible for:
- A retirement plan with a highly competitive matching and contribution structure
- Comprehensive health insurance benefits
- A robust transit benefit
- Generous leave accrual
- Flexible work schedules and telework options
AASHTO is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com