Virginia Department of Transportation
VDOT’s Staunton District Bridge section is seeking a highly qualified Assistant District Bridge Inspection Engineer. The qualified candidate will provide leadership and management oversight for the District Structure and Bridge Safety Inspection Program. Assist District Bridge Engineer in the inspections program delivery by facilitating responsibilities to include the inspection of over 3,000 structures and bridges throughout an eleven county district. The position functions as a managing engineer; supervising, training and coordinating the work of multiple structural safety inspection teams The position will specifically oversee the:
• Preparation of inspection reports and documentation in compliance with NBIS, AASHTO and VDOT requirements;
• On-going maintenance of the District bridge inventory and other structures;
• Load-rating analyses of staff and consultants;
• Coordination and quality assurance for the inspection programs of municipalities and other external parties;
• Monitoring of letters of agreement and contract compliance for inspection performed by consultants;
• Technical guidance provided on structural repairs and rehabilitation to Structure and Bridge staff and to District management, as needed; and
• Management of subordinate staff, budgets, and other business matters related to the Safety Inspection program.
The successful candidate is required to hold a Virginia Professional Engineer’s License and a valid driver’s license; and successfully complete an FHWA-approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course within 6 months of hire.
The successful candidate will also have comprehensive knowledge of:
• NBIS, AASHTO and VDOT specifications, standards and policies related to safety inspection of structures and bridges;
• Structure and bridge maintenance, repair and rehabilitation methods, procedures and materials;
• Management principles, policies and practices related to budgeting, staff supervision, procurement and contracts, and business administration;
The successful candidate will have skill in:
• Conducting and supervising safety inspection of structures and bridges;
• Performing structural load ratings of simple and complex structures and assessing criticality of structure conditions; and
• The use of PC’s including MS Office and software applications related to structural engineering and safety inspection.
Once onboarded, this position may be eligible for telework opportunities; availability, hours, and duration of telework shall be approved as outlined in the Commonwealth telework policy. (only for eligible positions).
To apply for this job email your details to Michelle.Small@vdot.virginia.gov